|I can see you|
We are such big fans of Takara's LG-35 Powermaster Optimus Prime that we forgave them for making him a Headmaster - especially since the smaller Optimus Prime head formed by Ginrai is virtually useless.
Frankly we were not too keen about modifying a Takara, but Perfect Effect made him better, so.... here he is (And we absolutely hate the Hasbro version) with PE's Perfect Combiner - 15 (PC-15)
MORE AFTER THE JUMP
That and we're looking forward to the Perfect Effect Perfect Combiner (tPC-16) Super Ginrai upgrade whose color might not math the rather pale red used by Hasbro for their Powermaster Optimus Prime:
As you can see Perfect Effect will really take some liberties with the LG-35.. But.... DAMN!!!! That looks hot!!!!
The box doesn't really say anything unless you can read Japanese. But Perfect Effect was nice enough to summarize with the words "LED" "ADD-ON" and "GOD ON"
Perfect Effect's Perfect Combiner - 15 (PC-15 ) features:
- A replacement head for the LG-35's Ginrai and its "helmet head" - This directly addresses our first complaint about Takara's LG-35 Optimus Prime. With PC-15, no longer is Super Ginrai or Optimus Prime, a Headmaster. We also no longer have to think about what the tiny Prime head is for.
PC-15 UPGRADE ORIGINAL TAKARA HEAD
- A pair of light-up blue-LED eyes powered by two really tiny batteries. Perfect Effect was nice enough to provide the batteries. Take note early on of the etching on the battery hatch cover. A few notes:
- You don't need to unscrew the head open. The hatch is a slide on-off hatch
- Note the etching on the hatch itself, that will tell you where the two batteries should be facing.
- Removing Powermaster Optimus Prime's head is not that difficult. As you can see the swivel joint is not bound by anything. You can simply slide it out.
|Note how the hatch can be slid back in place the wrong way|
- A pair of plastic covers for the exposed spaces in Super Ginrai's inner thighs. The covers cllip on-and-off quite easily. This is a really cool cosmetic fix for an open gash.
- Ginrai, who transforms into the that thing that powers the Transtector that looks like Optimus Prime. Right now - unlike the cartoon - Ginrai rides inside Optimus Prime's chest and cant attach itself to the front grill of Prime in truck mode - for now (Based upon the prototype of the PC-16 upgrade, he'll be riding outside quite soon).
WHAT'S TO LIKE ABOUT THE PERFECT EFFECT PERFECT COMBINER 15 PC-15 UPGRADE?
- FIRST: Ginrai. Aside from changing the Takara LG-35 Optimus Prime / Super Ginrai into what he should be - a Powermaster - Ginrai is
- Cartoon Accurate.
- Pretty decently articulated mini-con sized figure - unlike his headmaster counterpart. He can even kneel.
- SECOND: The new PC-15 head is beautiful and also solves the "Dead-eye" look of the Takara LG-35 Optimus Prime. Shooting it was a bit of a pain though because we couldn't really make the LEDs shine as much as they really do - thanks to our own lights. So here's a low-light shot of the PC-15 upgrade:
|Super Ginrai: Bright Eyes|
And here it is in comparison to the dead-eyes of the LG-35
PC-15 UPGRADE ORIGINAL TAKARA HEAD
- THIRD: You can now transfer the old LG-35 head over to the Hasbro Powermaster Optimus Prime to replace that weird looking Orion Pax head.
|I still hate you|
WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE ABOUT THE PERFECT EFFECT PERFECT COMBINER 15 PC-15 UPGRADE?
- FIRST: Ginrai. If you're a fan of the base-mode of the LG-35 Super Ginrai, then Ginrai will no longer fit in the gun-cockpits - not that we really mind.
- We're a bit worried that the upcoming God-Bomber upgrade from Hasbro will no longer interact with Super Ginrai once it's been modified with both the PC-15 and PC 16. Finding another LG-35 is proving to be a price sensitive issue.
The Transformers Perfect Combiner PC-15 Upgrade Kits for the LG-35 Super Ginrai is available on Amazon for US$ 60 (Rougly PhP 3,060 plus shipping).